The inertia to write has been herculean oflate. There is a lot of writing I do instinctively - taking a que from any topic I find resonance with - with friends - on whatsapp. It begins with writing long messages and notes to a few people - my mentor and my elder daughter Meghana and my classmates from college. The messages are often long, in topics related to self-help, spirituality, wellness & care, an update on happenings of the times. These topics have a lot of flow, context, continuity and above all freshness.
I also end up having long conversations the previous night, but the written notes to them do not find any connection to the topics discussed over a call. I never quite reflected on this deeply - but I have realized unless I find a sense of unbriddled self-expression withour fear of being judged, the thoughts do not flow freely.
A lot of my long writing has also been on instinctive impulse - a response to a scenario or a qustion or a telling experience that I want to share. I am struggling with an inertia / block for planned writing. Thoughts on topics flow very well when in isolation or solitude or when I am in an allied context. But when it comes to writing them down to elaborate - content became a casualty of time & timing.
I have tried my hand at writing with some blogs, which came in spurts - a few years ago. It gave me the confidence that I can write well. But I did not / could not continue. My writing did not have structure. Again because, these writings have been instinctive & impulsive - arising out of a need for identity and recognition - but not with a aim to create literary content or achieving a professional goal.
Writing has to be driven by purpose - not for someone to know what we know - but for one's own unfolding. Expression of thoughts is the only proof of an "Ability to think". Thinking gets its manifestation in finding form - in words and sentences. A written word lasts longer than a spoken word - though in today's world - a spoken word too can be stored in the same 0 s & 1 s eventually (sic). But there is no better "earthing" to thoughts than "writing".
So this blog is a promise to myself to graduate from "Instinct to Intent".
It is difficult to train old-geysers (like me) with new habits - to convert Solitude to Substance. Let me revisit this more frequently.
My gratitude to all - who have endured my sporadic verbal Diarrhea !!
-
AK
No comments:
Post a Comment